What To Do In The Event Of A Loss
Burglary, Housebreaking, Theft And Fire Incident
1. Immediately report all these incidents to the police and the Fire service, in case of fire.
2. Where a crime has been committed do not tamper with any potential evidence before the arrival of the police.
3. Take photos where possible to show entry, exit and damage.
4. Contact our Claims Department or your broker representative as soon as possible.
5. List all damage / loss to building and contents.
6. Locate and secure you insurance policy and any other personal contractual documents.
Losses From Major Perils – Flood, Hurricane etc.
On Happening Of A Loss
1. Take photos of damage.
2. Secure premises with board, tarpaulins etc. to prevent further loss or damage to building and contents.
3. Keep all invoices and receipts for sums spent in securing the premises.
4. Contact our Claims Department or your broker representative as soon as possible for guidance.
5. Clean up debris.
6. Salvage as much as possible. Dry out electrical items, clothing etc.
7. If necessary, use a generator to run essential electrical appliances e.g. freezers.
8. If the premises are rendered uninhabitable, seek reasonably priced temporary alternative accommodation. There is some coverage under your policy.
Making A Claim That Will Be Settled Quickly
1. Your first official step is to fully complete our claim form and return same to your broker representative or us, ASAP but definitely within 30 days. The forms are available from your brokers, our office or web site.
2. For contents, prepare an inventory of damaged / lost items available with date of purchase, purchase price, replacement cost or repair estimate.
3. For building, have a detailed estimate from the repairer.
4. Make yourself available for the claims adjuster to survey premises and take photos etc. Allow at least one hour for this process.
(Have documents ready, e.g. site plan, claim documents).
6. Ensure that all known damage is pointed out to the adjuster .
7. The adjuster will have local rate sheets for similar types of building repairs and will prepare his costing based on measuremens taken by him. If his costing is in line with your estimate / claim the adjuster might request that you sign Proof of Loss Form which verifies that you accept the amount proposed to you by the adjuster as your loss.
8. The adjuster will then send their report to us and we compare your loss with the policy coverage in place.
9. Should your loss be covered under the policy we will issue settlement cheque and final policy discharge form within 5 days (in extreme situations may be longer).
Info required about Damaged items:
Replacement / repair cost
Our claims team is always available to guide you in the most efficient way to recover from your loss and get back to the position you were prior to the incident.